2016 Kiwanis Scholarship Winners Presented
From left to right are Simon Asem, Cindy Vivar-Perez, Samuel Devlin, and Joshua Vietas
The John Pennycuff Scholarship, awarded in honor of John was awarded to Cindy Vivar-Perez.
- Cindy graduated from Winton Woods and is heading to the University of Cincinnati to study Fashion Design.
- Cindy’s extra curricular activities include violin, the National Honor Society, and student ambassador
- Throughout high school Cindy has been a very active volunteer at Stepping Stones and by showing patience and affection, she help children with disabilities to understand that “nothing is impossible”.
- Cindy already received her certificate at the Winton Woods Honors night, but I would like to present her with a check for $2,000.
Dave Bell Scholarship awarded to Simon Asem
- Simon is probably one of the last of the class at Winton Woods to be a student of Mr. Bells. This scholarship was awarded to Simon because of his involvement in the Winton Woods Music program. Simon expressed in his essay that “music is his way of expression and connecting to the sounds of the world”. “Being part of a choir taught him how to be confident”. Simon was elected as the President of the Varsity Ensemble his senior year.
- Simon graduated from Winton Woods and is attending The Ohio State University to obtain a degree in Civil Engineering
- Some of the other activities Simon was involved with included Key Club, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Robotics Club and Varsity Golf.
- Simon already received his certificate at the Winton Woods Honors night, but I would like to present him with a check for $2,000.
Kiwanis Scholarship awarded to Joshua Vietas
- Joshua Vietas was a home schooled student that is attending Cincinnati State with the intention to transfer to Thomas Moore College or Franciscan University. Joshua is also planning to study Philosophy at the Athenaeum of Ohio.
- Joshua is very active in theatre as a member of the All Saints Home School group and even participated with Fairfield High School during some of its productions. Currently he is an intern with the Fairfield STARS Summer Camp program.
- Joshua is also a piano play and a soccer player, playing on the Landmark Christina homeschool team.
- In his essay, Joshua states “through my volunteering, many talents have been drawn out for me. Ministering to others and being a grace in their lives is a delight”.
- I would like to present Josuha Vietas with this certificate and $2,000 check.
Kiwanis Scholarship awarded to Samuel Devlin
- Sam graduated from Roger Bacon and is attending Cincinnati State to study Aviation Maintenance Technology.
- Some of the activities Sam is involved in his church, boy scouts, drama, choir, soccer and swim.
- Sam has been very involved with the Our Lady of Rosary Interfaith Hospitality Network. For his Eagle Scout project Sam decided to update the living space for the IHN guest. The project involved raising the money in addition to coordinating the project. Sam raised 180% more than his financial goal and the team of volunteers, led by Sam was able to repaint, re-carpet, update window dressings, and replace light fixtures to 5 bedrooms and a common room. While the project spruced up the space, “it made a huge difference in the overall moral of the guests during their stay because they had a nice place to rest and find comfort”.